Tuesday, May 29, 2012

So, I bought a shirt from the men's department...


Welcome to my first refashion post!




In between yardwork, projects, and playing in the kiddie pool over Memorial weekend...

I found some time to take the kids shopping.

This was not a "leisurely-browse-until-your-hearts-content" shopping trip. 

I was on a mission and a budget.


Greg wanted some new shirts for summer, and the kids desperately needed some jammies that won't make them sweat during Michigan's humid summer nights.

Plus, Memorial weekend always means SALES!




So, while I was in the men's department at the GAP Outlet picking out some shirts for the hubs...I stumbled across a T-shirt in the clearance section. It was a men's size XS...but I really liked the print. Anything with California always catches my eye! 

I suddenly had an idea to slightly alter it to make it more girly.



And for THAT price, I figured if I messed it up...I wouldn't be devastated.



When I got it home, I found a shirt that I really liked and laid it on the floor next to my bargain t-shirt.

My goal was to simply imitate the same look on my men's t-shirt!


NOTE: make sure you wash and dry your shirt before you start any refashion project!


The following is a step by step tutorial on how I turned my men's t-shirt into a surfer girl shirt...

Supplies you need:
- sharp pencil
-fabric scissors
that's IT!

{please let me know if you have questions! I'm trying to improve my tutorial skills}




Once you are satisfied with your pencil lines, take the shirt off and lay it back on the floor.

Follow the next four steps...





Take one of your leftover sleeve trimmings and slip it on your head. It will stretch easily to make a cute headband! No altering necessary!




So there you have it!

If the shirt was a bit longer or a size larger, I would have cut about an inch or two off the bottom to give it even more of a beachy look. Oh well, I still like it.


Surf's up DUDE!



Total cost for this project...
$1.78

Thank you GAP Outlet.

You're welcome husband.
:)

4 comments:

  1. You are so cute! Love What you did girl!!! Surfs up and High Five ...this is totally RAD!!! :) What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I wear this shirt A LOT now!! There's something so satisfying in wearing something you, yourself created for under 2 bucks! :)

      Delete
  2. ooooh I like the shirt idea.... hmmm time to go find me a shirt :)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Each and every comment fuels my passion for blogging. So, do tell...