Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Entryway and tree decorations!


Ready for some super easy ways to make Christmas come alive in your home??


First, go outside! I found these branches right in our back yard!
Once I was happy with the arrangement, I tied them first with a rubber band, then added some twine for a real natural look. I first thought of hanging it above my front door outside. But, I like how it looks in the entryway. It brings more of the outdoors...well, indoors!

You could put them in vases and decorate with ornaments, above doorways with lights in them, even above a mantel or shelf.


The "Season's Greetings" sign was found right in the grocery store (Meijer)!
I used command strips to adhere it to the window.


But, how do you know what to put on a table like that Shannon?


Next, pull out all your decorations you already have.
Put them in a pile on the floor.




Sort out what you have by colors.
I wanted to go with white in the entryway, and I LOVE how it turned out!




They don't ALL have to be Christmas items. Take that white clock for example (TJ Maxx), I usually have it on the mantel, but it looks great here with all the other snow white items.


The mirror was left by previous owners, and I ALMOST gave it to the thrift store. But after a good coat of crackle paint, and it fits the room perfectly. The white wreath was a Pottery Barn purchase (gift card)...probably the only other thing I actually own from that store.



See that white frame resting on the ground to the right? It's a work in progress, but I will share the tutorial soon! You will love it.



...on to the tree!




Buy wrapping paper that matches your house, and use it as part of your decorating.
These are REAL gifts that I was ready to wrap. But, don't let that stop you! You can wrap "fake presents" and fill baskets, bins and shelves with them to look festive.



A mixture of homemade and store bought ornaments gives you the best of both without looking too cheap or over the top.
The "button garland" I made here.
The "sheet music bird ornaments" I made here.

A simple tree topper made out of an ornament and leftover ribbon from last year.

And what's a house without mistletoe?


This is the first year I've ever put a "kissing ball" (from Target) in my house, but I'm sure Greg won't mind :)

You may be wondering, what about the "Christmas room"? Why isn't the tree by the fireplace in the Christmas room?? Maybe a story for next time...let's just say the tree was a bit big this year. Nothing a pair of scissors and one marital dispute couldn't handle...so, THIS is where the tree ended up this year. But, honestly I'm so happy how it looks in this room. It really came together. It's good to be flexible right? :)

8 comments:

  1. I love it! It looks so welcoming :)
    I used to have a sideboard very much like yours here, and sold it several years ago. :( I miss it, but yours brought a smile to my face! Found you through All Thingz Related!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey i'm visiting for Nesting place! i LOVE your home it looks so cozy and welcoming! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your sense of style... your decorations look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you have decorated your home and that tree topper is very creative! I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is beautiful, and Im in love with the sunny yellow sideboard! you have a lovely warm home decorated perfectly for the holidays, great job and thanks for sharing, I found you via the Nesting Place. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came across your post on pinterest because I love the front entrance display! But then I saw the colour of your walls and I wonder if you can share the colour? :)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Each and every comment fuels my passion for blogging. So, do tell...