Here's a creative way to redo a frame and turn it into a fun way to display cards, pictures and your kids artwork...
1) I took the frame OFF this painting. This snapshot was taken last fall, and the painting has been moved to a new wall space since then. It's amazing how much a frame (or lack there of) can change the look of a piece of artwork. I love the painting so much more now without the frame.
Ok, moving on....
2) Paint the frame however you like!
I used my trusty crackle spray paint from Hobby Lobby. After each coat, I sanded it around the edges a bit to get the antique look I wanted.
3) I used tacks and pushed them gently into the backside of the frame. 5 tacks on one side of the frame and 6 tacks on the other evenly spaced. This creates the zig-zag look I was going for.
4) Next, I used my (seemingly endless) twine to create the zig-zag.
I tied off the first one securely and simply strung it back and forth around each tack until I reached the end--then, tied it off securely at the end.
(Make sure it's pulled fairly tight, so it doesn't sag when you add the clips and paper at the finish)
5) I bought some miniature wood clothespins (Hobby Lobby) to hang Christmas cards and some homemade snowflakes with.
6) Stand back and admire.....
I can't remember what blog I saw these snowflakes but, they are SUPER easy to make. All you need are pipe cleaners, pretty paper, a glue on jewel or button (whatever your taste), and some super glue! I made a ton to hang on the tree as well. These would be cute to put on a present too, don't you think?
I hope you find a fun way to display your Christmas cards! I can't wait to get more in the mail....it's always so fun!