Tuesday, May 22, 2012

How to re-use an entertainment center

Our TV is almost seven years old. We purchased it when we got married.

For the last month or so, it started turning itself off at random times.

We came up with all kinds of irrational theories as to why it was happening.

We came to the conclusion that it was dying a slow death and decided it was time to start looking for a new one. 


I also knew our current entertainment center {which I found on craigslist for $125 about four years ago} was not going to fit our new 40 inch flat screen {which Greg scored HERE for an insanely good price}. It's a very well made piece of furniture in perfect condition. And with entertainment centers like these going out of style, I knew we wouldn't be able to re-sell it. 



So we got creative....



We simply took out the screws that were holding the two pieces of the entertainment center together.

After setting the cupboard portion on the floor, I thought it looked a bit top-heavy with that crown molding on the top. So we flipped it upside down.

Annnnd...voila!



Our NEW entertainment center!

The legs would make a perfect table/ storage location for toys. It's still a work in progress...needs a coat of white paint, replace the glass shelf with a piece of plywood, and needs a tabletop. I just laid some leftover boards on top for a temporary solution. Still brainstorming exactly what I want to do with it.



We have SO much more storage now too! The shelves on the inside of the cupboard were easily adjustable.




The only part that looks a little unfinished is the "new" top of the entertainment center. This was the side screwed tight to those wrought iron legs, so it doesn't have the nice finished paint like the rest of the unit. 

Not sure what to do about it yet....any ideas?

The paint would be pretty hard to match. It's a textured creamy color with little specs of brown in it.




Still...

It's amazing how much money you can save with a little creativity. 

***

What can you re-use in your home?

linking up to:




5 comments:

  1. Ooh I love it! Maybe paint the top a shiny black to go with the TV?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reusing old pieces of furniture. I thought maybe add a fabric (from all your lovely new fabric) runner, or pad? Or even modge podge fabric to the top. I did that once to a bookcase and it looks cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo I like the modge podge fabric idea! I'll have to look into that...

      Delete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Each and every comment fuels my passion for blogging. So, do tell...