Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Rough patch

Kensie turned two and a half on March 6th. Just over a month ago.


She has always been a sweet kid. Soft little voice. Sweet giggles. Bright blue eyes. Loves to cuddle. Greg and I often wonder how she is ours. Why did God bless us with such an adorable girl?


However, the last month has been rough to say the least. Crying at the slightest thing. Constantly pushing Mason over and stealing all his toys. Fighting mealtimes. Fighting naps. Fighting bedtime. When you say yes, she says NO!


At first, I thought it was because she was tired or hungry or teething or not feeling well or, or, OR! I kept racking my brain for reasons. Why is she acting like this all of a sudden? Am I not spending enough one-on-one time with her? Am I not disciplining her enough? Am I disciplining her too much? Who is this child and where did my sweet Kensie go???



Then we went on vacation and I thought that would help. There would be different scenery and we'd be around lots of friends. More distractions might keep her occupied?? NOPE. It only seemed to get worse! We stopped at some outlet malls on the way home and my shopping was cut short when she threw the most embarrassing fit in public I have ever seen out of that little girl! Oiy. Greg and I were very calm and just held her hand as we walked back to the car in between stomps and screams. I was at the point where all I thought was "Whatever. I don't even care what people think. Let's just get home."




I came to my conclusion this week: 

She's just two and this is just a rough patch


Kids sure do keep us humble eh?



6 comments:

  1. Oh man do they ever! Yes, keep strong this will pass on! Totally a rough patch no doubt... and then you see them all snuggled sweet in bed past out. And think how they could be such a booger during the day, and so so sweet when asleep. Hang in there..! Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. I'm sure you totally know where I'm coming from. Three boys???? I can't even imagine all those "rough patches"! ;)

      Delete
  2. Shan, we went through that with Halle. It has gotten much better although we still deal with some pushing of the brother and disagreeing with us...which I think will last forever. Its definitely getting better as she gets older! She also plays much better with her friends than she used to too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear Cath....I know they will always be growing and changing. The rough times are just so HARD sometimes. Glad to get encouragement from other fellow mamas! Thanks friend!

      Delete
  3. You are not alone Shannon! I think your 'whatever....let's just get home' attitude is awesome. :-) I fought the rough patches for so long and felt my bp rising every time. I try to remember that it's going to happen - and I need to stay calm for my own sanity. (This usually means Miss N is in her room by herself for a while.) And yes, the fits are totally embarrassing!! Especially at church in front of people you see all the time - not that that has ever happened...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staying calm is definitely not my first gift. But, having a calm hubby has really helped with that! And I'll be honest, my "whatever..." attitude is always easier in the middle of a bunch of strangers. At church?? I feel ya. I always feel the need to "explain" things a bit more when it happens in front of people I know.

      Kensie gets lots of "alone time" in her room as well! Good for both of us. :)

      Delete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Each and every comment fuels my passion for blogging. So, do tell...