Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The potty


It's a milestone for all toddlers but especially true for our sweet little girl...

Kensie sat on the potty seat by herself for the FIRST time yesterday!

This is a big deal for most first time parents, but I feel the need to give you the "back-story" for exactly why I'm so proud of this girl and why it's such a big answer to prayer! I haven't blogged about this topic other than to say I've simply been dreading it. I guess there's a certain amount of embarrassment all parents feel when it seems like their kid is "behind" in a certain area. 

When Kensie turned 2, I thought to myself, Okay! Here we go! This is the year of potty training! I wasn't looking forward to it but kept it out on the table. I lovingly tried to introduce the topic with little discussions now and then--always with a positive outlook and affirming words. We had a special day where we went with excitement to the store and Kensie picked out her favorite princess undies and princess potty seat. She was so excited to bring them home and try on her new undies. We chatted with slightly older kids who were fully potty trained and Kensie would cheer for her friends as they showed how they could go "all by themselves". But, she had zero interest. Then one day during bath time she accidentally went #2 in the tub and it freaked her right out! Screaming and crying. I don't think she understood that's what comes out of our bodies! Understandable, right? Anyway, I was extra careful not to react negatively and calmly tried to assure her that it was okay, I wasn't upset and that nothing was wrong. Ever since then, her lack of interest turned to straight up fear of the potty. I would casually ask if she wanted to try sitting on the potty and she would immediately start to wimper. "No Mama. I no want to. I so scared..." It broke my heart to see how terrified she was. So I just let it go and stopped bringing it up. I don't believe in throwing a child into a situation their not entirely ready for. She clearly wasn't ready.

Thennnnnn she turned 3, and I was like Okay! We're still in full-time diapers over here and she has never even attempted to sit on the potty! What can I do to help this girl?

Then it hit me.

I realized I hadn't been giving it to God. There was no way I could change this little girl's heart. But, God could! So, a couple weeks ago I talked to Kensie about her fear of the potty and how maybe if we asked Jesus to help us, maybe we wouldn't be afraid anymore! We prayed out loud together as often as she wanted, sometimes twice a day. Usually it was something like, "Dear Jesus, we know you can calm our fears. God, please help Kensie not to be afraid of the potty anymore. We pray with all our hearts that you would give Kensie a desire to want to use the potty when she's ready. We trust you Lord. Amen." No other discussions or conversations about it--just simple prayers.

So, yesterday sometime shortly after breakfast, when Kensie ran up to me and shouted, "MAMA! I want to use the potty Mama! I really want to try! I want to be a BIG girl Mama! I not scared anymore!", tears started to fill my eyes. We rushed into the bathroom and I watched as she climbed up without any help onto her princess potty seat. Her eyes radiated with excitement and joy as we praised Jesus right there in the bathroom. 

"Kensie! You did it! I'm so proud of you! Isn't Jesus so awesome?...he helped you not be afraid anymore! Praise the Lord!" 

"I know Mama! I like a BIG girl now! I not scared anymore! Hallelujah!!"




She asked me FOUR more times throughout the rest of the day to use the potty. I was in total shock and amazement. (PS-Nothing "happened" while on the potty yesterday...but just the fact that she wants to sit on there is enough for me right now!) 

We're gonna take it as slow or fast as she wants to, and no doubt there will be some ups and downs ahead of us. Right now, we're just excited to start the potty training journey!

***



3 comments:

  1. Although I'm far from potty training, I have potty trained many 2 year olds. It's frustrating on both you and the child. Sometimes the solution is right in front of us and giving it to God was so great. She will get there Shannon!!!! As far as advice, I use to take the kids every 30 minutes, even if they didn't have to go and have them sit on the potty. About 2 days later, most of them had the idea of when they had to go and would ask for help.

    I will pray for you and that you make it through this. Lots of happy potty thoughts :).

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, thanks for your comment--I'll take all the advice I can get!! We haven't tried putting her on every thirty minutes yet. Still going based on when SHE wants to. But, that sounds like a great "next step"! I'll jot it down for the near future. God's definitely teaching me patience throughout this whole process. He knows I need more of it :)

      Delete
  2. Glad that you are doing it when she's ready. I tried before H was ready and it was awful for both of us!!! I also think that its so awesome that you guys are praying about it together! What a great lesson to teach her about her spiritual life as well.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Each and every comment fuels my passion for blogging. So, do tell...