Tuesday, July 5, 2011

3 days over the 4th

The Fourth of July was on a Monday this year and as a result Greg had three full days off....amazing right?!
I know.

Remember how my hubby loves to work under pressure?
And how he thrives on conquering tough challenges??
Especially in a short amount of time...

Well, he wanted to make the most of it by squeezing in as much as possible. And I'm not complaining cuz we got a LOT done and had a ton of fun!

{Day 1}
Greg spent most of the day putting up the rest of the trim on all the doors and closets in each bedroom...

(sorry forgot to take pics!)

...while I spent the morning with Kensie downtown at farmer's market enjoying some much needed one-on-one girl time. She's been a little clingy lately (those bad-boy molars are putting a number on this little girl) and she desperately needs some extra attention these days.


{Day 2}

Let's start off by saying the night before Mason woke up at 1:30, 3:30 and 6:00am. SO FRUSTRATING. I'm thinking it's a growth spurt. And I think my milk supply is dropping. This was around the same time that Kensie showed similar signs and by 5 months old I made the decision to ween her. So, more on that later...but, nothing like starting a day off with ZERO sleep.

We packed up the car with everything imaginable for a day on the lake with 2 adults, 1 toddler, and 1 baby.
Kinda stressed me out.
But, we made it.
We remembered everything.
And boy, was Kensie in for a treat...


I call this her "mini fridge swimsuit"....and I was surprised she didn't mind how bulky it was.


probably cuz she was so busy doing this...


We stayed out there until 7pm.
Kensie loved every minute.

Drove 45 minutes home, threw the kids in the bath, and threw them in bed (ok, we "placed them" but, that's what the bedtime routine feels like sometimes...just get them in bed!!).

{Day 3}

This time Mason awoke at 4:30 and 7:30am. Still not his normal 8-10 hour slumber but, better than the night before...

More packing (this time forgetting Kensie's swimsuit--and turning around to run home 5 minutes into the trip.) Coulda been worse right?

We scored the same sweet spot by the water as the day before.


And let Kensie loose...







After seeing her show "no fear" on the water, we decided to see how she would do on the boat...

Ummm she LOVED it. We sat in the front of the boat and she immediately started bouncing on my lap with excitement. We even did a loop around the lake going pretty fast (fast enough to pull a skier behind) and she kept saying "weeeee!....Whoa!....weeeee!!". When we pulled up to the shore I asked if she wanted to get off. In her sweet soft voice, "nooooo" (while shaking her head).
I think we have a little fishie on our hands!

We left the lake around 6pm and drove up to visit my Mom for dinner and fireworks in her backyard. Literally. It was a great set-up. Kensie slept in the house while we sat outside and watched the show.

We pulled into our driveway just after midnight. Exhausted. Dirty. Smelling of sunscreen and bug spray.

***

The downside for both days on the lake:
Kensie didn't nap at ALL for 2 days straight.
I don't like nursing in public but, we made it work.
My hate for mosquitoes > My hate for the snow.
Must. Get. A. Bigger. Car.
Too much sun + ZERO sleep = headaches.

The upsides:
Kensie was happy (despite no naps, a runny nose, and teething).
She sure is making up for it by napping super hard today!
Such a great chance to spend time as a family.
Mason did great eating and sleeping in a different environment (except at night).
I love my husband in board shorts.

Happy Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love hearing from you! Each and every comment fuels my passion for blogging. So, do tell...