Thursday, July 7, 2011

Backyard decisions...

First of all...to weed? Or not to weed?

 (looking out the living room window into the backyard)

I choose "not to" and it's not pretty.

***

Ok, now onto something a bit more fun to discuss...

Here's a shot of our backyard {looking out the same window}:


 Love the grass and shady trees. Don't love the view of the house behind us.

Here's the problem:
I want privacy and a safe place for our kids to play without running into someone else's yard {never mind the busy street behind us too}. We live on a cul-de-sac so the front yard is where we spend most of our time. But, the backyard is not so enticing.

Greg doesn't like the "look" of fences. He understands the need for safety if we ever want to play in the backyard but, cannot get past the "look" of a fence. Mind you, he grew up in farm country with TONS of room. I get that.

So, here's some ideas we've discussed:

A white picket fence...
(simple version using my paint program)


A row of bushes...



Or a tall privacy fence {with bushes in front}...


What do you think? Opinions? Would love to hear other ideas as well!

6 comments:

  1. Well...1st you should really talk to your neighbors about that WAY UGLY chain link fence!! :D

    I don't like the look of fences either & when we moved in we talked about taking it down...then along came Eddie. Who loved exploring and now, while I still think it is very ugly - I love that fence.

    While I like the idea of bushes to forgo the need for a fence, I can picture Eddie running around them & Dani through them chasing Eddie. Your picture of the tall fence and bushes is beautiful - but as Mark always says, I have a knack for loving the most expensive option. :)

    I am sure whatever you decide to do will be beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would go with a fence with bushes in front. That way, you have security, privacy, and beauty. Or a fence and you can plant a little garden in front of it.

    No matter what you decide, I'm sure it will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the privacy of a fence. I also like Mallory's idea of planting a garden in front of the fence. I love having a private getaway, plus I can let Natalie play out there without having to watch her every second. Although you could also get that with the picket fence...just not as private.
    Let the blogging peeps know what you and Greg decide! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the fence idea greenery or maybe some climbing vines climbing up it and trees. Privacy and safety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you know what my aunt janet has that is really pretty is a pretty white fence, I can't remember if its a picket or split rail fence, with a whole bunch of white iceberg roses growing on it. its beautiful and creates a lovely low boundary in their yard. i think that would look beautiful in your yard. you could even continue the white iceberg roses along the chainlink fence on the right side of your yard to create a bit more continuity. have fun! i'm sure your mom will have some gorgeous ideas too, she's so good at working in the yard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thnaks for the ideas everyone! I never thought of a garden or vines but I like the sound of it! (especially roses...what kid wants to run through those?) Good ideas! I think a fence of some kind is going to be crucial. Knowing how we make decisions around here...this all won't happen 'til next spring. But it never hurts to start planning early. :)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Each and every comment fuels my passion for blogging. So, do tell...