Saturday, June 9, 2012

Focus up Friday

 Proverbs 31 {week 4}


She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household
       and portions for her maidens. She considers a field and buys it;
       with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:15-16


I don't have much to write about in regards to this study. In short, I failed this past week in a lot of areas. I skipped out on waking before my kids. Thus, skipping my mornings spent with God in the Word. I did not clean my house vigorously, and my procrastination habit only got worse this week. {notice this post is coming to you on a Saturday instead of Friday?}


But, that doesn't mean I can't focus up today! I definitely have a God-centered story for you. I want to take time to praise our Father in Heaven. The God that gives us life, everyday. The creator that knit us together before we were born and knows exactly what will happen to us in this life. 


I want to thank him for protecting our son this week. Our dear, sweet, little boy, Mason.







Here's what happened Tuesday night, just a few short days ago...

It was close to six o'clock.

The kids and I had just finished eating dinner. Daddy would be home soon. We decided to head outside to play in the front yard until he got home. After wiping two little mouths and washing four little hands, I quickly put the dishes in the sink and told Kensie to get her shoes on before we could go outside. Mason had completely wasted his shirt during dinner because that's what he does. He wastes shirts for a living. His goal is to see how much food he can get on them at each meal. So, I took it off and tossed his shirt in the laundry basket as we all trotted down the hallway towards Mason's room to grab a clean one for our shirt-wasting son.

The kids were right behind me as all three of us entered the room. I headed straight for the dresser and opened the top drawer. With a clean shirt in hand, I peeked over my shoulder to locate Mason. And that's when I saw it happen.

I watched a spark light up the room, Mason fell to the ground, and the lights went out.

He had been shocked by an extension cord.


It's funny what happens to a mother during a traumatic situation. Looking back now, I don't know how I held it together. I remember shaking and sweating profusely. But, I also remember having a very clear head, speaking calmly to Kensie about what she needed to do and knowing exactly what I needed to do. God is so gracious like that. He gives us strength in scary situations.


Mason screamed immediately. I scooped him up to inspect the damage. Right away I saw a black burn mark on his hand (where he grabbed the exposed prongs) and a black mark on his chest (remember he was shirtless?). I rushed him toward the kitchen where there was more light and noticed his hand was bleeding pretty bad (one of the wires must have cut his finger when it jolted him). I rinsed it and pressed it with a paper towel. It didn't bleed long and I was certain he wouldn't need stitches. But, what about the burns! I thought. That had to do something to his insides, right?! I mean, the boy was just electrocuted!


At this exact moment, Greg texted that he was on his way home from work. Another praise! He literally works less than 3 miles away so I knew he would be home within minutes.


I loaded up the kids in the van and as soon as Greg pulled in we rushed to the ER.


Mason was calmed down by now and acted like his normal self. Babbling and laughing the whole drive to the hospital. I kept looking back at him every couple seconds to make sure he was still conscious. Kensie kept repeating, "Mason big GIANT Boo Boo! He feel all better Mama?"


Once admitted to the ER, I sat Mason on my lap to let the doctors take a look. It took a while to describe exactly what happened using phrases like, "We were in the baby's room.......with an extension cord WE forgot was still plugged into the wall.....with one end that had a removable cover....and he must have ripped it off to show the exposed prongs, and squeezed them together....I was THERE and watched it happen!"....the whole time Greg and I felt like the worst parents in the world. I just kept telling myself, this could have happened to ANYONE. It's just an accident. But still, we felt terrible.


After 2 nurses and a doctor evaluated him, this was the doctor's response:

"Well, with these type of electrical shocks in the ER, we usually see two outcomes. Either your are totally fine, or your heart stops completely."


Mason is totally fine. They gave us some cream for the minor burns on his hand and chest and sent us home. Case closed. {I did finally break down and cry on the way home from the hospital. To think that your son could have just died...it finally hit me}.


I think the next day I kissed our sweet and studly little man a thousand times, and said "I love you" a thousand more. His hand is healing well, and he doesn't seem too bothered by the sores. We have also been taking some extra measures to "baby proof" our house this week.


Kids are so resilient.

And God is so good.


PS- I don't think this will be our last ER visit for this little boy. I'm already praying for the next 16 years of his life. 


PPS- How on EARTH did Greg and four of his brothers live to be adults? They are all roughly 2 years apart. Greg is the oldest. That means when the last son was born, there were FIVE boys ages 10 and under. Oh my dear mother-in-law, how did you do it?! 

***


If THAT doesn't make you focus up a little today, I don't know what will.

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad he is okay. I am crying for you as I read this. I always try to think how I would react in situations and I guess we just have to trust the Lord to be with us. Although I do keep a pair of scissors in the van in case we drive into water and I have to cut them out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the accident, I've teared up every time I look at the boy's face. Seriously. Okay, and scissors Jess? That's not a bad idea! :)

      Delete
  2. I can commiserate a bit, Shannon, with having 3 boys - I have wondered often how they survive. :) Now that they are driving, my prayers for their safety are more often.
    Thanks for sharing - you write well and we can all praise God with you for Mason's safety. Even though we couldn't treasure our kids more, these times just heighten our happiness and gratefulness that they are part of our lives, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you Rachel when I wrote this! Boys are crazy! And yes, I had a conversation with my mom this week about the teenage years. She said she never slept once we got our own cars and license to drive. Guess I should look forward to that eh?? :)

      Delete
  3. Liz and I are glad to hear that Mason is doing well. God will continue to hold on to your momma's heart for your kids and your hand in all situations. Even after their grown. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Robin! I never knew my momma heart would be quite this fragile. I'm sure it will only get harder as they get older.

      Delete
  4. Oh my!!! Praise the Lord that all turned out ok!! Things happen so fast and it is so scary!! Totally understand the calm in the moment- but the tears once you no longer have to be the strong one!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness girl! I am So so glad your little stud man is ok. Holy Moly, I am so amazed ...and yes it is amazing how our adult mother instincts kick in and we are calm.. Calm? how right? but we are... thank goodness! Glad to here he is ok, and your whole family is girl!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Each and every comment fuels my passion for blogging. So, do tell...