Monday, May 10, 2010

Tulip Time reflections...

The big week is over, and here are my thoughts from this years Tulip Festival:

1) I have a new sense of pride being a part of the Dutch community here in Holland, and celebrate my lineage (my mom's side is part Dutch) by dressing my first born in (yes) a Dutch costume, which apparently is a prerequisite for living here. I've given in. BUT, to defend myself.....I didn't pay a penny, or sew a stitch of it. And I'd say, our little Dutch lady was quite the show stopper. See below... :)



2) I have never succumbed to standing in the freezing cold wind to watch not one but TWO parades (until this year). I really felt like a die-hard...but was even more surprised to see half of Holland downtown watching along side me as well.


3) With all the talk of having a "Stem Festival" this year (due to the early warm weather we had a few weeks ago), I was convinced there would be no tulips left. But, there were strips of perfectly opened tulips throughout Centennial Park, which made for some fantastic photo opportunities.

Kensie and her buddy Kenyon among the glowing tulips



4) I LOVE craft shows. The Centennial Park was filled with tents and booths for the first two days of the festival. I went with no intent of buying, but every intent of researching. This year however, I bought one item. A close-up 8 x 10 photo of a beautiful asian lily in soft hues of green, pink and blue to put in Kensie's room. The selling point was that it was a taken by a 12 year old. She was adorable. Running her own tent by herself with hundreds (literally) of photos in all different sizes. I asked how long she'd been photographing, and she nonchalantly says, "4 years.". WHAT?? Yeah pretty amazing. I couldn't help but support her.


5) And lastly.....for once I was NOT annoyed by all the tourists in town. Usually I get so annoyed by the slow drivers with out of state license plates, staring down at their road maps driving with the left blinker on for miles...looking like lost puppies. But, I was so thankful that it brought an economic boost to our happy little town. We definitely could use the help.


So all in all it was a fun week. Can't wait til next year's festival...and maybe some warmer weather with it. :)


The kids loved hanging with Megan too!



I love this pic. Allison with her son Kenyon, and

Kensie looking a little apprehensive.



1 comment:

  1. It looks like Kensie is telling Kenyon to "talk to the hand!" ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Each and every comment fuels my passion for blogging. So, do tell...