Monday, May 20, 2013

It's about to get crazy 'round here!

So I've been keeping a little secret from you all. Are you ready for it?

Cuz' I'm not sure if I'm totally ready.


But ready or not, here we go!




Ummm yeah. We're having twins!

This pregnancy was a total surprise from the beginning. We weren't looking to try again for another 6 months to a year. But God had other plans.

So because we weren't "trying" I was not keeping track of my cycles or anything. When I called to make my first appointment they went ahead and scheduled an ultrasound in order to get a more accurate due date. 

And that's when we discovered I was 7 weeks along and not just pregnant with one baby....


...but TWO.


Shock. Awe. Disbelief. Amazement. Out of body experience. 

That's pretty much what our first reactions were. Thankfully Greg was there, so we both just looked at each other with wide eyes and then looked at the screen, 

"Are you sure????"
(pretty sure Greg's hands were shaking a little at this point)



Then the ultrasound tech asked her two routine questions. 

"Were you guys using any fertility?"

Uh no.

"Do twins run in either of your families?"

Nope.



So there you have it.



TWINS.


My official due date is December 15th but twins arrive about a month early, so I'm thinking around Thanksgiving they will be here. (One less month being pregnant, I say!)


9 weeks on Mother's Day. Greg and I took a little getaway to Chicago for the weekend.
Another post on that later...



Okay, now for a more heartfelt reaction...


Honestly, I could not be more thrilled! If you recall THIS POST (seriously, I still laugh that I posted this just 2 short weeks before we apparently conceived)...anyway, you know then that I've always thought it would be fun to have twins. Both fun and somewhat convenient. Early on in our marriage, Greg and I were pretty much set on having four kids. Well, that combined with the fact that I have major leg vein problems, AND the fact that I carry freakishly LARGE babies (Kensie weighed 9.7 lbs and she was 3 days early, and Mason weighted 10 lbs and he was 4 days early), basically I did not want to be pregnant TWO more times. So twins sounded very appealing to me. I knew it would be pretty rough there for a while, but a great two for one deal, know what I mean?

Well, God sure has a funny way of answering prayers. 

What I wasn't expecting was to have our next pregnancy so close to Mason. You see, Kensie and Mason are exactly 18 months and 2 days apart. So a larger gap for the next one was the plan. And here's where it gets interesting...

By the time these sweet twins are born, we will have FOUR kids ages FOUR and under. Umm yeah. Kensie will turn 4 in September, and Mason will be 2 and a half. I mean, how am I going to survive an entire day?? How am I going to feed everyone, and bathe everyone, and settle fights between the two older ones, and make sure everyone's alive by the end of the day while my husband works extra long days/ weekends during the busiest time of the year??

That's the part that terrifies me a little, not gonna lie. 

But, I know God is totally in control and he will provide for us in unbelievable ways. I mean he already has hasn't he?

Let the adventure begin!


***

I'm currently at 10 weeks and I'm anxious to get to my 12 week appointment to hear those precious heartbeats again. I'll be sure to keep the blog updated!

11 comments:

  1. It will be crazy! Wonderful! Amazing! You'll take one day at a time, and take up on all offers of help!! And maybe, just maybe, you'll get regular help a couple times a week, at least. Isn't it just the most amazing miracle? Cannot stop thinking about it. And all that goes along with having twins!!! AHHHHHHH!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have been forcing myself to say yes to anyone who is willing to offer to help already. Just to have some people kinda lined up ahead of time, ya know?

      Delete
  2. Oh my!!! Your bump is adorable!!! You were not kidding when you said you could feel the stretching!! Way too sweet!!! :)

    Congratulations again!! So happy for you guys!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stretching feeling will be nothing compared to later on too!! I will be a house, let's just be honest. :)

      Delete
    2. Ha! But extremely cute!! :)

      Delete
  3. Shannon, this really is so exciting! Two things, though: be careful about the due date being a month early! I'm coming across too many people having twins who are right on time, and as one being at the end of my pregnancy, I'd aim later than sooner!! (And my mother-in-law is sitting next to me, reminding me she was 4 days LATE with her boys!) And, having a 4-year old and 2.5 year old right now... those ages really are great. I know I'm not having twins again, but really, the 4 and 2 ages are wonderful and I'm loving it - they're such big helpers and really at a good stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm planning to go early for sure since I tend to carry larger than normal babies. My doc already said he won't let me get to my due date. But true, you just never know!

      And it's comforting to hear about your experience with a 4 yr old and 2.5 yr old. Especially since today, while coming out of the dentist office, Mason bolted through the parking lot AND across the street before I could catch him. Thank goodness there were no cars coming! I just imagine him doing the same thing in 6 months while I'm holding 2 babies and not being able to catch him fast enough. Oh that boy sometimes....

      Delete
  4. Congratulations Shannon!!!! I am so happy to hear this!!! A two for one deal sounds perfect! Kensie will be a little mommy to the babies! :))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kensie is definitely aware that Mommy is having two babies, and she is already talking about how she will help me get them diapers, feed them, and put them "night night". I'm so glad I had a daughter first for this reason...she's such a natural mother.

      Delete
  5. Wow!!! Oh, My Goodness!!! Congratulations, Shannon and Greg! So exciting. :) I've always wanted to have twins, so I'm slightly jealous of your blessings!!! But really so so so happy for you! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kate! Never hurts to pray if you want 'em that bad! Maybe next time?? Your house would be REALLY full then. :)

      Delete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Each and every comment fuels my passion for blogging. So, do tell...