Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Homemade taco seasoning mix {recipe}

We eat a lot of Mexican food in our house. 

Nachos, quesadillas, enchiladas, and our favorite...

TACOS!

I found the following recipe about 6 years ago online (before Pinterest, gasp!) and it makes homemade tacos simply the BEST. I saved it to my desktop in a word document so I don't have a clue what site I found it on. If you know where it originated, please leave the link. I would love to thank the person who came up with it!



All-Natural Taco Seasoning Mix
This seasoning mix is the secret behind terrific tacos whatever the filling — ground beef, chicken, turkey, even sautéed veggies.

Makes about 3/4 cup
·  4 tablespoons chili powder

·  2 tablespoons onion powder

·  2 tablespoons garlic powder

·  1 tablespoon natural brown sugar

·  1 tablespoon arrowroot (this one was tricky to find. Try a health food store or local spice store)

·  2 tablespoons ground cumin

·  4 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste

·  4 teaspoons paprika

·  4 teaspoons dried oregano

·  1–3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, to taste


Stir all ingredients together and store in an air-tight container until ready to use.




Now that you're in the mood for cooking, I'll share my favorite way to make taco meat using this yummy seasoning...


Start by sauteing one whole chopped onion in some olive oil.


Get 'em nice and brown, then push them to the sides of the pan to make room for your thawed ground beef.

Sorry, I can't bare to take pics of raw meat...so fast forward >>>>


Once the meat is browned, drain the extra grease.



Sprinkle your homemade taco seasoning mix (about 1-2 Tablespoons?)

Once you mix it all together you can totally STOP here.

But, if you like some extra color and flavor....



Mix in some drained and rinsed canned corn (maybe 1 cup?).



Add some drained and rinsed canned black beans (maybe 1 cup?).


Mix it all together and voila!

Delicious taco meat to stuff your flour or corn tortillas with. 

You're family will thank you. 

Trust me.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love hearing from you! Each and every comment fuels my passion for blogging. So, do tell...