Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Stools + Online shopping mistake = Sewing

We got new stools a while ago but forgot to mention it here on the blog!

I found the idea here...


And here's the ones we got...


I bought them online HERE
(This was not my online shopping mistake. Keep reading...)

I'm so happy with them. We previously had only two stools and there was never enough room for everyone to sit at the counter. Plus these have adjustable legs so we can raise them up for the little ones and lower them for the adults! They're sturdy, safe, and CHEAP...which is always a priority around here.

Now for my mistake...

I ordered a bunch of fabric online for a quilt for Kensie's big girl room. Most of the fabric was exactly what I ordered. However, two of the prints were LAMINATED FABRIC. Never heard of it?! Well you can't make a quilt out of it, that's for sure! It's got a shiny, waterproof coating on top. I bought FOUR yards of this stuff and couldn't return any of it.

After researching online for a bit I discovered there are LOTS of things you can make with it.  Tablecloths, totes, aprons, and raincoats to name a few.


********************************************************************************
SIDE STORY:
I watch a little girl one day a week while her mommy goes to work. She's exactly a month younger than Mason. I've always been lacking an extra seat for her when lunch time comes. It's a game of musical high chairs. One child quickly eats while the other cries, and then they flip-flop. Or I feed one in the high chair while one eats off the floor like a puppy dog. Basically its a lunchtime nightmare. Lots of panic eating and crying.

*********************************************************************************


New stools {PLUS} my need for an extra high chair {PLUS} laminated fabric


Then I found this.





And that's what I made with my laminated fabric!



Seating problem solved and fabric used!


The tutorial used basic cotton fabric. I think the laminated is even better. It wipes clean in a jiff and won't leave stains on such a pretty print.


Pardon my long-winded story for such a simple craft!

What else should I make with the three yards I have left?

Hmmmm.....

***

For tips on sewing and taking care of your laminated fabric click HERE.
(P.S.- the fabric I used is from Amy Butler--"Love" fabric line.)

***

linking up to:




6 comments:

  1. Love the chair! You could make a wet bag to go into various totes/backpacks diaper bag out of some of the extra fabric. Just a simple zippered bag. You could also make a make up or toiletries little bag for traveling, or a tote for swim/beach days... Ahhh so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo I like the travel bag idea! Maybe a small one to keep my jewelry in...I've always wanted one of those.

      Delete
  2. I love it!
    Is it machine washable?
    I saw a cute idea to make an outdoor picnic blanket. You take a wipe off table cloth and sew it to a regular table cloth. One side is waterproof, the other side is soft. YOu could use your fabric for one side.
    I want to get some of that and cover my dining room chairs. My dining room set will eventually be a craft table. I pulled the backs off the chairs and am converting them to stools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, laminated fabric is NOT machine washable, and you can't iron it...probably because it's similar to a plastic coating and could melt. But, wiping it with soap and water works great.

      I already have one of those picnic blanket things.

      I definitely want to see those stools of yours! Please post an update when you finish them!

      Delete
  3. Um...you could sell me a yard of the fabric so I can make one of these chair wraps. Funny thing, I have that pattern bookmarked to make as soon as I find the "Just right fabric" Let me know!
    And we should playdate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Cute fabric. You could make a couple of travel diaper changing pads to use and give away...When my girls were small we used a backpack diaper bag that had one attached to the backpack. You just unzipped and unfolded it and laid the baby on it to change the diaper. Laying a baby on a pad is so much better than changing the baby on the floor. Stopping by from Inspiration Friday.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Each and every comment fuels my passion for blogging. So, do tell...