Monday, March 7, 2011

Two nurseries and a first ever wall collage!

When I found out we were having a boy for baby #2, one of the first things I thought was, "How am I going to decorate the nursery!!" I guess you can say I have a love for decorating :).

But, really.....I wasn't thrilled with the idea of decorating a room for a BOY. Don't misunderstand. I was THRILLED to hear my hubby would now have a son he can wrestle and play football with. But, it was just so easy to decorate Kensie's room--pink and green paisley prints with touches of flowers and fairies for accents. It came to me without hardly trying. I absolutely loved every minute of planning out her room.









But, a boy? All I could picture were tonka trucks and choo choo trains all over the walls.....not exactly my style, though I'm sure those will be some favorite toys in our future.

So, being on a tight budget and not a lot of ideas, I knew I had to get creative. I headed to Babe's R Us and told myself I could only by a crib set from the clearance section. I didn't really like anything I saw, but after MUCH debating I settled on one and forced my way out of there. Crib sheet, bumper pads, dust ruffle, comforter, lamp and a banner (the banner was pretty much why I chose the pattern.....something I would totally want to make but, someone already did the work for me!) The print was a variety of polka-dots in light colors of blue, green, brown, and orange with a few green crickets hopping on the edge of the fabric. Not ideal, but I could work with it.

I got it home and realized the colors all matched perfectly to the rest of our house! We only have 3 paint colors throughout the whole place {summer sorbet blue, garden fairy green, vanilla cookie yellow}. I was feeling a bit more inspired and got to work.....

Here's the {almost} finished room!


The curtains and rods we already had...and the {fake wood} coffee colored blinds were only $18 a piece from Target! The nightstand was moved from the living room, and the crib and changing table was moved from Kensie's room. Thanks to some church friends, we are borrowing a second crib to use for Kensie until she's ready for a big girl bed (borrowed crib is pictured above--it fits her room perfectly and is much more girly).


With only 3 bedrooms, we decided to keep the futon in the nursery to double as a guest room (and for all those midnight feedings too!). If we have visitors we can just bunk up the kids together in Kensie's room with a pack n' play and let this be a private room with little effort.



I collected unused frames we already had laying around the house (all previously black) and used 2 different cans of spray paint (from Hobby Lobby) to spruce them up and match the fabric colors. **Not sure why the green frame on the right looks crooked. It's straight in real life I promise! Blaming the camera lens.**


This metal "M" was given to me by my sister in reference to our last name (also previously black), but I decided after a quick coat of green paint it would suit Mason's room perfectly.


The matting inside each frame is from the cardboard box that held the crib set. The box was supposed to be "reusable", but was half torn when I bought it. So, I just cut it up and used for a sturdy backing for the pictures.


The banner came with cricket covered close pins to aid in hanging pictures on the actual banner.But, I decided to glue them straight to the cardboard matting in order to swap pictures in and out of frames easily. All the current picture are of dear my Grandpa Woody during his service in WWII. My Aunt mailed them to me a few months ago and I have been dying to get them up in a collage of some sort. So, here you go Aunt Gwen! Thank you so much for getting these to me!

It's a little intimidating standing at the end of the hallway. To my left is a nursery. To my right (right across the hall) is another nursery. I feel like I'm having twins! Life will be crazy for a little while, but we are SO excited! Can't wait to meet Mr. Mason soon...

1 comment:

  1. DANG girl you've been busy! sheesh! you did a ton in just a few days! LOVE Masons room!!!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Each and every comment fuels my passion for blogging. So, do tell...