Tuesday, January 4, 2011

525,600 minutes

I love the random resources that help us to remember certain facts. Like how many minutes are in a year. Recognize it? Yes, from the musical RENT. Classic. But, it's really the only way I can ever remember it. And it kind of makes you think, doesn't it? Where DO all those minutes go??? Ok, other than peeing, pooping, and doing the "dirty"...you sickos!

Now, you are all waiting for me to tell you how I want to spend those minutes this year, right?

Well here's a few:

Patience: Other than getting this baby out of me! a significant amount of time will go towards caring for a new baby and...uh...well...an "older" baby. Trust me, I have already started praying for patience. Everyone loves to scare you with horror stories of the transition from 1 to 2 kids....the tantrums, the jealousy from the oldest, the lack of time with your husband, the feelings of loneliness, the fatigue...I've heard it all. So, Lord give me patience.

Save more $$$: I want to be a more frugal grocery shopper for starters. I need to be more diligent about planning meals and really put my creative skills at work using what we already have. I can do it when it comes to decorating. But, in the kitchen I can be kind of a spender. We are saving up to buy a car come spring (or whenever we can afford it). I've been driving the same car since my junior year of high school! It will be sad to finally see it go, but a Ford Focus is not ideal for a family car, let's be honest.

~ Get back into shape: Currently I'm sporting the "round" shape...but once this baby comes out, I don't want to be sporting the flabby balloon either. It's hard to imagine running right now, but I would love to do a 5k by the end of next summer.

~ Let go a bit: It's hard for me to admit it, but I can tend to be kind of a control freak. What happens in the end? I wind up feeling exhausted because I have to do everything myself. I want to feel like there's a plan in place, but that it's ok to be flexible sometimes. I've seen progress in the year's past, but I feel like it's flared up again recently. I just want to feel more freedom knowing that things don't always have to be perfect.

~ Love my husband more: Knowing this year is going to bring new challenges, I want to love Greg in ways that he needs. I'm good at loving people the way I want to be loved. But, it's harder when it doesn't come naturally. I pray I can build him up this year through more words of affirmation and acts of service.

A very wise mentor of mine said this to me recently, "when your life gets squeezed, what comes out? Is it ugly? Or is it Jesus?"  I haven't been able to stop thinking about that. I have seen some ugliness in 2010, and I pray there will be more Jesus in 2011.

So, let the accountability begin!

Oh dear, what have I gotten myself into....

1 comment:

  1. Shannon. A little piece of encouragement for you. I found the transition from 1 to 2 MUCH easier than 0 to 1. There were moments, that is certain....but I really think that switching to 2 was easier!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Each and every comment fuels my passion for blogging. So, do tell...