Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Coupon fairy

After a loooong weekend away, (full of fun, but exhausting activities) I came home to a [thankfully] clean house. However, the fridge was another story...4 eggs, 2 carrots, a lonely tortilla in the meat/cheese drawer (which had no meat OR cheese btw) and an inside fridge door stocked full of useless condiments.

Did I also mention there were literally 2 diapers left in the whole house? (I have a bad habit of not stocking up on these...EVER). So needless to say, I ventured to the nearest Meijer for some much needed groceries and other miscellaneous items (bleach, floss, laundry soap, etc...why is it that you run out of everything at once??)

With a lengthy list in hand and on a mission, I ventured into the store in full anticipation of how much would be spent in the end. Since the health and beauty section was closest to the entrance, I headed there first to check "floss" off my list. I'm usually a store-brand buyer, but floss is on the exception list. Glide. Mint Glide to be exact. And lo and behold, a coupon was taped to the front of the exact one I wanted! And a good coupon too. One whole dollar off! I skipped off with a smile, ready to tackle the rest of the list.

As I neared the end of the grocery aisles, my cart was full and getting harder to turn on the corners. I was almost done, but had one more stop to make. The cleaning supplies aisle. I picked up the laundry soap and bleach I needed without hardly stopping the cart. Now just one more thing...something to spray those icky kitchen counters with. Not knowing exactly what I wanted, I scanned the never-ending shelves of spray bottles. And...can you believe it (?!) there was yet another coupon taped to the front of one of them! I quickly grabbed it, and happily headed to check-out.

So, now you're wondering...who was the mysterious coupon cutter? And, who [apparently] thinks of wandering around Meijer to tape them on various items?? I don't know, but I'm convinced God gave me my very own coupon fairy that day. And even though I spent more than I anticipated on a whole, I saved $12.00 on in-store products, and $2.00 in coupons. Thanks fairy coupon-giver. :)

The end.

4 comments:

  1. It was me shannon....just kidding. lol I totally had that the other day i went to meijer to get walnuts. and someone had left a 3 dollar off coupon! God totally has a sence of humor. keep writing stories, i could read your "blog stories" all day, you are a gifted writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, we should talk....my hubby calls me the coupon queen. My goal is to NeVeR spend more than I save at Meijer! I've actually left coupons behind on things that were a good deal but we don't use. Its so fun to help someone else save money on everyday things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shannon,
    Your blog came up on my email through a "Google Alert." What a fun posting on your "Coupon Fairy."
    I noticed, by the way, that you are in process of reading my book, Shame Lifter. Thank you! I pray it will be an encouragement to you as you seek to be godly mom to your precious little one.
    P.S. I'm also a coupon user! But after reading your blog, Ive been challenged to be a "coupon fairy" as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Each and every comment fuels my passion for blogging. So, do tell...