Saturday, July 10, 2010

10 months and some birthday thoughts


10 month chair pic

(PS-don't think that that tear in the armrest doesn't bother me. I already attempted to sew it up once only for it to burst open within a few days. It drives me NUTS! Cheap reupholstering anyone???)


We are only 2 short months away from celebrating 1 year in this little lady's life.

And what a blessing she has been.




Now, for some birthday thoughts:

1) This year, Kensie's birthday will fall ON Labor Day (Sept. 6). I'm kind of excited about that because most people have work off. PLUS, I'm always fond of parties actually ON the day.

2) A bonus activity that same day will be joining Greg and his big rig in the annual Labor Day truck parade. Last year was AMST's first appearance, and Greg was beyond excited to drive. To put icing on the cake, his Mom also made a poster to announce Kensie's birth. (She was born the day before Labor Day). This year, Greg insisted that Kensie and I ride in the truck with him. And we are more than happy to oblige. :)





3) Who to invite? We are still going back and forth on whether to make this party open to family only, or family AND friends. It's always hard when deciding who to invite, where the cutoff is, and who will take the most offense if they are ones NOT invited. The sensitivity of the issue can sometimes make me not want to do a party at all. I know I know. I'm not going to let that stop me, but we just can't decide how to make it work yet. I've been to a few "Open house" style parties. I like how those make the numbers not so overwhelming. People come and leave when they please, and it really spreads the guests out so your house isn't packed.


3.5) Has anyone ever heard of the "# of guests = # of years old"? For example, you can invite 1 guest when you turn 1....then 2 guests when you turn 2, and so on. Not a bad idea, and makes it easy to have an excuse when confronted with a sensitive situation. "Well, you can invite them next year I guess..."


4) Gifts. I really don't want a ton of toys and (no offense) junk to pack my house out. If we do invite family AND friends, I'm thinking a polite "no gifts please" on the invitation is appropriate.


5) Theme. Definitely incorporating green and pink....but no characters from movies or cartoons. I'm picturing something like a "Garden Party" with lots of flowers and simple decorations. Maybe a cute handmade sign, and a simple but elegant cake.


So, that's that. Any thoughts on first year birthday parties?? I would love to hear what you've done, or are planning on doing. Do tell!

6 comments:

  1. Slip cover?? We just put slipcovers on our 2 recliners and our couch downstairs and it just spices them right up!!

    Also, funny that everything you don't want for the party we did. Ah well, we're allowed to be different right?!

    -Alioop

    ReplyDelete
  2. first of all, she's a dolly in that picture!

    First birthdays... we struggled as well with the cut off of friends, b/c really, we were inviting OUR friends. :-) But, we just ended up inviting people from our neighborhood, ordering a bunch of $5 pizza's from Lil' Caesars and making it simple. The weather is nice that time of year so we were outside/inside alot too... just playing and hanging out.

    I also did a "no gifts, please" but I don't think one person followed it. So... I'd go with that if you wanted, but maybe put an option, like "Please no gifts, but if you feel it's necessary, bring a book to add to Kensie's library." That way, you can just stock up on great books!

    Can't wait to see you soon, friend.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the chair pictue!!
    Could Kensie be more precious??
    I think not!!

    Whatever you do for the party will be great! Fun had. Memories made.
    Special day for a Special little lady!
    Have fun planning.

    Blessings.
    JS

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just do family for birthdays right now. It works out great because there aren't a ton of people so I"m not stressed out with entertaining everyone and my baby isn't stressed out with tons of people wanting her to be super cute.

    I love the pink and green combo - its my girls' life colors. Everything we do is based around pink and green. I did a garden party for Ariel and it turned out super cute.

    I think you should make a happy birthday kensie banner. I know it is something you would do a great job on. I did one for both my girls.

    I"m sure whatever you choose to do will be perfect because you are celebrating your special gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, love doing first birthday parties! www.oneprettything.com has some great birthday ideas you could adapt for a 1st birthday. whatever you do I am sure it will be cute. Have fun planning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Al- not a bad idea on the slipcover....I should look into that more.

    Everyone else- thanks for your comments! I like the "bring a book to add to Kensie's library" idea, as well as the reference to oneprettything....it's really got me thinking now!

    Hopefully there will be an update on what we decide in the next month or so!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Each and every comment fuels my passion for blogging. So, do tell...