Monday, November 16, 2009

Stubborness = Stupidness

Yes. Yes it does.

Day #1 (last Wed). I woke up feeling under the weather. A low grade fever, a headache and a stuffy head. Took some Motrin and Sudafed (both safe for breastfeeding btw) and stayed home all day in my robe, trying my best not to touch or breath on Kensie.

Day #2. (Thursday). I went to watch a high school volleyball game. You know, cuz I thought I was feeling better. Bad idea. Hardly slept that night from what felt like fire in my throat.

Day #3 (Friday). I swear I was swallowing pins and needles all day. I rotated from the bath to the couch to the bed....all the while drinking cup upon cup of tea and sucking on cough drops like candy in between. By the end of the day, several people thought I had strep and should get checked out.

"No, not me. I've NEVER had strep in my life, let alone been on antibiotics. I'll be fine gargling my salt water 2-3 times a day. I can fight this thing" -- I realize that I basically think I'm invincible at this point.

Day #4 (Saturday). I'm pretty sure this is the worst of it and it WILL be better by tomorrow dag nabbit! So what do I do? Go to ANOTHER volleyball game that night. Nice Shannon. Like that's gonna help.

Day #5. Church. At least I was smart enough to stay home from that....starting to learn my lesson maybe? By the afternoon, I knew there was no way I could make it through another night, and it was time to head to Urgent Care.

So....after 4 miserable nights and 5 looooooong days, I took a 10 min trip to the hospital, where the doctor didn't even bother swabbing to test me for strep. She took one look in my mouth, and said, "oh that looks bad". If a doctor says it looks bad, that must mean something right?

A quick trip to Walgreens and 10 min later I was home with my prescription, feeling a mixture of emotions. Was all that torture over the last 5 days worth proving that apparently I can fix my problems?? --good reminder that God is the only one who can conquer ALL things. And secondly, why did I not listen to good advice?? -- another reminder that stubbornness = stupidness. And most importantly...thank goodness for drugs! -- reminding me how thankful I am to live in this day in age.

3 comments:

  1. haha that is funny, and true! hope you feel better! yes thank goodness for painkillers right? (o:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you are starting to get better!! I have the same stubbornness...I took Eddie to the dr last Mon b/c I thought he was off...they put him on meds, but did I get any for myself when I wonder if I have the same thing...nope. :P Must be going around the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so quick to call the dr for our children the second something seems amiss but so thick-skulled when it comes to ourselves. Welcome to the curse of motherhood :). I'd never had strep until a year or so ago. Painful, awful stuff. Thank goodness we're not moms 100 years ago! Can you imagine? On second thought, don't go there :)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Each and every comment fuels my passion for blogging. So, do tell...