Monday, September 14, 2009

Meltdown

Did I see it coming?...not really. Was I warned? Yes. Everyone has told me that a new mother can be very emotional and overwhelmed the first week after delivery. 'But, not me' I thought.

I had been cruising on adrenaline all week. Everything new and exciting. A sweet new baby to ga ga over, and an excuse to use the phrase 'family time' on a daily basis. Well, Saturday night came. Greg had a hard week at work just coming off Labor Day, and seemed like he was in the office for most of it. He did what he could....kept up on the laundry, changed Kensie's diaper for midnight feedings, and helped clean up after dinners. But, I wanted more. I wanted him there a lot more. So, needless to say....things started pouring out of my mouth at dinner Saturday night, and they didn't stop. Soon, "liquid hormones" (as I like to call them) were streaming down my face, and I just couldn't control myself. I excused myself from the table and proceeded to the bedroom where I cried for about a half hour. I didn't know if I was more mad at Greg, or at how I was letting myself get so worked up about it...but either way, I said a lot of things I still regret. My dear husband could not have handled it better. He didn't say a word. He kept my dinner warm in the oven, came in the room to rub my back, and said I could take all the time I needed to recuperate. When I came back out, most of the house was picked up, and he was holding Kensie on his chest by the fireplace.






To end on a positive note, Sunday afternoon was GORGEOUS! Here are some pics from our walk to the park. And yes....some much needed 'family time'....



3 comments:

  1. Oh Shannon, Just read this post and your last one. Good job on the labor! I had an epidural at the end too... I wish I would have gotten it sooner - SOOOO amazing! :-)

    About this post - gosh. I totally know what you mean. It is rough the first couple months, but then it does become normal. I know everyone says it, but it really does. I'm so grateful you have a husband like mine - understanding and patient. Couldn't ask for more. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, praying for you! Those hormones are so tough. I'll never forget the night I was rocking Eddie and crying my eyes out. It does get better, but it helps so much when you have a supportive hubby!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, hang in there shannon. it gets better, but know that something about being a mom just makes life more emotional anyways. oh, the joys! what a wonderful husband you have, how sweet he is to just give you time and space and comfort. :)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Each and every comment fuels my passion for blogging. So, do tell...